Homeowners in the greater Buckhead, Atlanta, Midtown area increasingly choose prefinished hardwood flooring. At Floor Coverings International Intown Atlanta, we help many of those customers weigh the pros and cons of this this flooring option, choose the right prefinished hardwood, and install it in their home. Read on for more information about the advantages and disadvantages of this hardwood option.
What Do Mean By “Prefinished”?
Traditional hardwood is “unfinished”. This means that the various chemical sealants and treatments are applied after the floor is installed. When you choose prefinished hardwood, your flooring has already been treated for durability and water resistance prior to installation.
There are a number of benefits to using pre-treated hardwood, including:
- Durability: prefinished hardwood is more durable because manufactures have access to stronger chemicals than flooring installers. The typical warrantee for prefinished hardwood can be up to twenty-five years.
- Installation: because the floors were finished at the factory, they do not need to be sanded down and finished in your home. This can cut days off of your installation time.
Prefinished hardwood is an excellent choice for many, but it isn’t right for everyone. Here are a few notable disadvantages of this hardwood option:
- Shape/Aesthetics: prefinished hardwood is often beveled. This isn’t necessarily bad, however, some like it more than others.
- Cracks: there are wider spaces between each board in prefinished flooring. That means that dirt, dust, and moisture can penetrate these cracks causing damage.
- Maintenance: although prefinished hardwood is generally lower maintenance than unfinished hardwood because of its higher durability, it is harder to repair. This means that if a board is damaged, it is likely that it must be replaced outright.
Find Your Dream Floors
At Floor Coverings International Intown Atlanta, we carry thousands of flooring options, including prefinished hardwood. Call today to schedule your free, in-home consultation.
You Might Also Enjoy:
- 5 Features of Hardwood Flooring for Atlanta Residents
- Benefits of Hardwood Flooring in Atlanta
- Birch Hardwood Flooring in Atlanta
- Cherry Floors in Atlanta
- Engineered Hardwood for Buckhead, Atlanta, and Beyond
- Hand Scraped Hardwood Flooring in Atlanta
- Hardwood Flooring in Atlanta
- Hickory Flooring in Atlanta
- Mahogany Hardwood Flooring in Atlanta
- Maple Hardwood Flooring in Downtown Atlanta and Beyond
- Plank Hardwood Flooring
- Red Oak Hardwood Flooring in Atlanta and Buckhead
- Solid Hardwood Flooring
- Walnut Hardwood Flooring for Atlanta, Georgia & Beyond
- White Oak Hardwood Flooring in Atlanta
- Wood Floor Refinishing in Atlanta
- Your Local Intown Atlanta Hardwood Flooring Store
Photos © Irina Mos