Earth-Friendly, and Unique.
Sisal carpet is growing in popularity in the greater Atlanta, Georgia area because of its rustic look and its earth-friendliness. The carpets are made from the fibers of a cactus-like plant called Agave sisalana, native to the Yucatan Peninsula, but also grown in Brazil and Africa. Once the leaves are cut, fibers are extracted. These fibers are cut, dried, and treated to produce a twine-like material that can then be woven into rugs and carpets. Just like hemp and coir, sisal provides durability that most manmade materials can’t match. Because of its unique weave patterns, sisal doesn’t show wear patterns common in wall-to-wall carpeting.
Other benefits of sisal carpet include:
- It’s naturally stain-resistant, so it doesn’t require any chemical treatments that may be harmful to children and pets.
- It repels dust and static electricity.
- It absorbs sound better than most other carpeting material.
- It’s naturally flame-resistant.
- It can be combined with other natural fibers such as wool or sea grass for increased comfort and durability.
However, you should also consider that:
- Sisal does not do well with moisture and should be avoided in a mudroom, utility room, or bathroom.
- It may feel rough underfoot compared to traditional carpet materials, so it may not be best to sit or lie on for prolonged periods.
- Can be prone to color-fading especially with prolonged exposure to the sun.
Let the experts at Floor Coverings International of Intown Atlanta – serving customers in the greater Atlanta, Georgia area including Buckhead and Midtown – help you find a sisal carpet that’s just right for you and your home. Contact us today to schedule your free in-home consultation. We can’t wait to work with you!